antivir-milter question

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Thu Aug 4 07:47:07 GMT 2005

Today Martin Welk had this to say:

> Good morning,
>
> on Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 08:41:53PM -0500, Denny White wrote:
>
>> I had read where I needed to edit sendmail.mc but couldn't find
>> it. Then read the equivalent mc file for freebsd I needed to edit
>> was /etc/mail/freebsd.mc to which I added:
>>
>> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(
>> 	`antivir-milter',
>> 	`S=unix:/var/spool/avmilter/avmilter.sock, F=T, T=S:10m;R:10m;E:10m'
>> )dnl
>>
>> Then I did a `make install' to rebuild, what I thought, was
>> sendmail.cf, but it's looking like I was way off beam. Here's
>> what's in /var/mail/maillog:
> (...)
>
> I looks like your avmilter never gets used. Please have a look at your
> /etc/make.conf. This might include a line stating what sendmail mc file
> to use for generating your individual sendmail.cf:
>
> SENDMAIL_MC=/etc/mail/theatre.sax.de.mc
>
> Than, the corresponding line in /etc/mail/theatre.sax.de.mc is:
>
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`avmilter',`S=inet:3333 at localhost,F=R,T=S:10m;R:10m;E:10m')
>
> This is exactly from the antivir-milter documentation, and the only thing I
> did afterwards was
> 	make
> 	make install
> 	make restart
> Since than, it's just working. Of course, I've set up a start script in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d that enables avmilter at system startup. Do you
> probably have some older version? Mine is using sockets, not a pipe.
>
> Does your avmilter listen on some port? (Mine is using default, 3333.)
>
> Regards,
> 	Martin
>
> --
>      ,,Oh, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
>                  you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't
>                    you can make them, make or break them!'' (Tennant/Lowe)

Okay, maybe the script avmilter.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
is the problem. If you issue the command in the MANUAL to
use port 3333 at localhost, it looks like this:

avmilter -p inet:3333 at localhost

But, here's the relevant portion from the script:

case "$1" in
     start)
 		if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/avmilter ]; then
 			umask 0077
 			/bin/rm -f /var/spool/avmilter/avmilter.sock
 			/usr/sbin/daemon -f /usr/local/sbin/avmilter \
 				-P /usr/local/etc/avmilter \
 				-p local:/var/spool/avmilter/avmilter.sock &
 			umask 0022
 			echo -n " avmilter"
 		fi
 		;;
     stop)

So, theres no mention of it there. This has really got
me stumped! I checked /etc/make.conf & there's nothing
there except some stuff I put for when I'm updating
src & rebuilding. Nothing about sendmail.

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A