Boot page fault - alternative kernel needed?

Jason Morgan jwm-freebsd at sentinelchicken.net
Wed Aug 3 20:40:01 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:28:18AM -0500, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Jason Morgan wrote:
>
> >I have an old laptop that I am finally trying to get FreeBSD installed on.
> >It was recently running Linux just fine, but I am having a tough time
> >getting FreeBSD installed on it.  Here is the error I get when booting.
> >I have typed all that is visible on the screen when it crashes.
> >
> ># Begin
> >
> >isa0: <ISA Bus> on isab0
> >atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 UDMA33 controller> port
> >0x3000-0x300f,0x376,0x170-0x177,0x
> >3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 1.1 on pci0
> >ata0: channel #0 on atapci0
> >ata1: channel #1 on atapci0
> >uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> at device 1.2 on pci0
> >

> >Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> >fault virtual address  = 0xeb97b
> >fault code             = supervisor read, page not present
> >instruction pointer    = 0x8:0xc00eb87c
> >stack pointer          = 0x10:0xc10209f0
> >frame pointer          = 0x10:0xc10209f0
> >code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> >processor eflags       = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> >current process        = 0 (swapper)
> >trap number            = 12
> >panic: page fault
> >
> ># End
> >
> >So, my question is: Is this the UHCI driver failing to load
> >(happens at this same point every time I try to boot it)?
> >Is there any way around this? Possible using a trimmed down
> >kernel to boot?  Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Jason
> >

> Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>
> Well, the error message seems to indicate that the
> swapper if failing ... but it could be that it's failing
> because the previously loaded uhci device code finds
> a bug in your hardware --- IANAE,  but IIRC FBSD 5
> (&& you don't say what version you're using) doesn't
> always play well with APM, ACPI, or what-not on
> some older laptops.
>
> We probably need someone else to tell us the
> exact incantation, but you might be able to
> 'escape to loader prompt' and set the equivalent
> of {ACPI_LOAD =0} (like I said, not sure of exact
> syntax) before attempting to boot (see loader(8)
> in the on-line manual or on another machine).
>
> If you're trying FBSD 5, I've heard of some people
> having success with older laptops and FBSD 4.
> Otherwise, they can run 5 but without APM or
> ACPI support.
>
> Like I said, I can't say for certain that this is
> what your issue is, but if you've not got a working
> system, it probably can't hurt to futz around with
> it a bit.
>
> Hopefully somebody else knows the magic words....

Well, I've tried everything I know to do. I've tried installing FBSD 4.11 as well as tweaking settings
before booting the kernel.  I've tried the following settings in various combinations:

set hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
set hint.uhci.0.disabled=1
set hint.uhci.1.disabled=1
acpi_load=NO

No luck. Are there any other workarounds out there or something obvious that I've missed?

Thanks for the help,
Jason