sysctl options loader.conf or sysctl.conf

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Aug 3 17:50:24 GMT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 11:21 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about whcih options needs to be set where.

This changes over time.  A lot of options once needed to be set in
the loader.conf before the kernel started up, but the system is
getting more flexible and some of those can be changed at runtime
now....

> I know i.e. that hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" needs to be set
> in /boot/loader.conf while others are set in /etc/sysctl.conf. I need
> to know where I can find info on the rules about this. Now I'm
> dependant on what I happen to read somewhere.
>
> I read something about vfs.read_max="16" -> where do I set this I
> wonder? Is there info about this somewhere?

Look at /boot/defaults/loader.conf, that ought to give you a good
idea of what needs to be (or can be) set via that.  Otherwise, try
using sysctl to change things, and if they are marked read-only, then
they needed to be changed earlier or by rebuilding the kernel with a
different config.

--
-Chuck