BSDPAN versus CPAN

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Aug 3 11:27:13 GMT 2005

Hey all,

I'm under the understanding that it's somehow preferable to install perl
modules via the ports system, rather than the straight off perl -MCPAN -e
shell system I normally use.  Apparently the only advantage is this avoids
the "no origin recorded" errors (although portupgrade can't handle BSDPAN
modules).

On that note, is there any sort of CPAN equivalent that will, upon trying
to build a module will try the ports tree first, and failing that, will
function as a wraparound to the CPAN module?

--

"A single death is a tragedy.  A million deaths is a statistic."

-Josef Stalin, As quoted on the cover to Savatage's "Dead Winter Dead"