Cores and crashes on 4.X and 5.X

Tuc at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Tue Aug 2 15:58:55 GMT 2005

> You are probably doing the upgrade wrong.  You did read the notes at
> the bottom of /usr/src/UPDATING, right?

	You mean :

If you find this document useful, and you want to, you may buy the
author a beer.

	Cause if so, I'll buy him one when/if he wants.

	Otherwise, I'm doing everything the same I've done for YEARS,
the same on about 100 production servers that ran 4.X and 5.X . This
seems to just be happening on 2 different laptops, and only since I
upgraded them to the most current of 4.X for the 1, and 5.X of the other.

	My script I use is :

cvsup -g -L 2 ./stable-supfile && (cd /usr/src;make buildworld) && (cd /usr/src;
make buildkernel KERNCONF=TOSHIBA)
echo "Press ENTER to install kernel"
read c
(cd /usr/src;make installkernel KERNCONF=TOSHIBA)
echo "Need to reboot"

	Then

echo "Press ENTER to mergemaster"
read a
mergemaster -p
echo "Press ENTER to installworld"
read b
(cd /usr/src;make installworld)
echo "Press ENTER to mergemaster"
read c
mergemaster
echo "REBOOT"

> >                                                         Any way to track
> > this down... HELP!
>
> Well, try the upgrade again.  buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel,
> reboot with the new kernel, mergemaster -p, installworld, mergemaster.

	I did this on the 4.X system, and I had to do the installworld
a few times since I got things like :

Jul 27 09:23:14 toshiba /kernel: pid 413 (hostname), uid 0: exited on signal 11
(core dumped)
Jul 27 09:23:14 toshiba /kernel: pid 412 (csh), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core
 dumped)
Jul 27 09:23:14 toshiba /kernel: Jul 27 09:23:14 toshiba /kernel: pid 413 (hostn
ame), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Jul 27 09:23:14 toshiba /kernel: Jul 27 09:23:14 toshiba /kernel: pid 412 (csh),
 uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

	But eventually got it to take.  But its still acting a little weird,
like all of sudden going to graphics mode on a text screen.

		Tuc/TBOH