How do I get rid of booteasy??? & re-install windows xp mbr using ntfs???

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:26:33 GMT 2005

On 7/29/05, Jerry Tarwid <jtarwid at wi.rr.com> wrote:
> I am dual booting with Winblows XP and FreeBSD. I installed the FreeBSD Boot
> manager so I can dual boot. I now want to remove it! I have freaking scoured
> the $@!#$! net & still have NOT found an answer??? Anyone???? I'm using an
> NTFS volume so fdisk/mbr doesn't work and neither does booting to an xp cd
> recovery console and using fixboot or fixmbr. The $#!@#$ booteasy boot
> manager still leaves something in the mbr....nothing works! I cannot believe
> that I am the only human being on the planet that has encountered this
> problem! A LITTLE HELP???

fdisk /MBR doesn't work if you have NTFS on the drive?  That's news to
me.  The boot sector shouldn't care what filesystem you happen to have
put in one of the partitions.

You will need to mark the Windows partition as the active partition,
otherwise it will try to boot to whatever IS marked as the active
partition, which may result in discouraging error messages.  And I've
noticed that odd things can happen when XP isn't installed in the
first partition on the disk, but I don't know if that would cause what
you are seeing now.

For future reference, you don't need a boot manager to dual-boot with
XP.   It has its own boot manager that works just fine.  Somewhere on
freebsd.org there is a howto that explains how to do it, although the
last time I looked it was talking about Windows NT.  Still works the
same.

My solution was to delete Windows and only boot to FreeBSD.

- Bob