growisofs: no mkisofs options are permitted with =, aborting

Carl Delsey cdelsey at qwest.net
Tue Aug 2 05:08:19 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:50:03AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  1 August 2005 at 22:31:45 +0200, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to burn an iso image onto a DVD+RW.
> > I'm trying:
> >
> > growisofs -Z /dev/cd0=image.iso
>
> The version of growisofs that I use doesn't have a -Z option.  From a
> system that does:
>
>        -Z /dev/dvd
>               Burn  an  initial session to the selected device. A special form
>               of this option is recognized to support burning of  pre-mastered
>               images. See EXAMPLES section for further details.
>
> Is this your intention?  If so, it seems that you're not sticking to
> the syntax.

It's valid syntax ... just not documented in the man page. You have to
go out to the website to find out about it.

> > This yields:
> >
> > growisofs: no mkisofs options are permitted with =, aborting...

Looking through the code, this error message seems to mean that
growisofs found a parameter that it doesn't recognize and assumes you
mean to pass it to mkisofs.

I'd double check the spelling of all the options. Maybe retype the
command to make sure there aren't any invisible control characters that
are somehow getting interpreted as options.

If none of that works, try adding --quiet to the command line. My quick
look through the code suggests this might work (Though my confidence of
that is low). If it does work, I'd really like to hear it though.

Finally, if none of those things work, you might try:
growisofs -Z /dev/cd0=/dev/fd/0 < image.iso