DVD burning..

Jeff Mitchell skeezix at skeleton.org
Mon Aug 1 21:09:49 GMT 2005

 	So far I'm having no luck so thought I'd post and ask for help :)

 	FreeBSD 5.4, BenQ DVD burner, using DVD-R media. GENERIC kernel
with ATAPICAM added.

 	Built an iso with mkisofs, and can burn it out with burncd to CDR
no problem (if 700MB or less or so, of course.)

 	For DVD, built a 2GB .iso using the same mkisofs command..

 	mkisofs -o foo.iso -J -R filelist*

 	'cdrecord' seems completely crippled and I'm amazed no one has
written a 'Free' version (no dependancy on getting key files that expire,
or reliance on one person to generate them, etc.) Took me awhile to figure
out how to get the key files going... but it now has what seems like a
common problem -- it starts up, does the 'grace time', then "Alarm clock"
and it stops before doing any work. So after a few hours of buggering
around I gave up..

 	Installed the dvd tools to get growisofs since this seemed like
the main alternative to cdrecord. (burncd didn't seem to like to burn
DVDs, though I forget exactly its output.)

 	growisofs seems to almost work, but breaks and is slow:

 	growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z /dev/cd0=buckdvd.iso

 	That results in..

Executing 'builtin_dd if=buckdvd.iso of=/dev/pass0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/pass0: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1385KBps.
    1867776/2937458688 ( 0.1%) @0.4x, remaining 104:46
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @1.2x, remaining 45:33
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @0.0x, remaining 71:35
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @0.0x, remaining 91:06
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @0.0x, remaining 110:37
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @0.0x, remaining 136:39
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @0.0x, remaining 156:11
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @0.0x, remaining 182:12
    7503872/2937458688 ( 0.3%) @0.0x, remaining 201:44
   13107200/2937458688 ( 0.4%) @1.2x, remaining 126:25
   13107200/2937458688 ( 0.4%) @0.0x, remaining 141:18
   13205504/2937458688 ( 0.4%) @0.0x, remaining 151:19
...etc...
   16547840/2937458688 ( 0.6%) @0.0x, remaining 435:23
   16547840/2937458688 ( 0.6%) @0.0x, remaining 444:13
   16547840/2937458688 ( 0.6%) @0.0x, remaining 455:59
:-[ WRITE at LBA=1f90h failed with SK=6h/ASC=29h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
builtin_dd: 8080*2KB out @ average 0.1x1385KBps
:-( write failed: Input/output error
/dev/pass0: flushing cache
:-[ FLUSH CACHE failed with SK=2h/ASC=04h/ACQ=01h]: Resource temporarily
unavailable
:-[ SYNCHRONOUS FLUSH CACHE failed with SK=2h/ASC=04h/ACQ=01h]: Resource
temporarily unavailable

 	So it would seem to take hours to burn a DVD, and tanks after a
few moments anyway.

 	Any ideas?

 		jeff

 	Aside .. seems like a lot of tools depend on cdrecord to work, and
it seems cdrecord with its key situation is volitile and requires userland
knowledge to sort out.. so a bad situation :(

--
"Have you played Atari today?"