bind CTRL-ALT+DEL action

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Aug 1 16:11:47 GMT 2005

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> "Aymeric MUNTZ" <aymeric.muntz at free.fr> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to bind any action to combinated keys such as CTRL+ALT+DEL?
>
> Yes.
>
> In X, it's kind of tricky to apply modifiers to a particular
> combination, so I'm not sure how to do that particular one,

The problem with X is that there are so many ways and places to do it
and higher-level programs can hide the lower-level settings.

X has a "xkb" system (see xkbcomp manpage and elsewhere) that lets you
mess with low level stuff, which can be handy to enable special buttons
on fancy keyboards.

Many X programs (eg, Xemacs) can be configured with custom keys and
key combinations.

The window manager fvwm2 seems fairly easy. This allows
ctrl-alt-delete to do something (defined in the config file)

      Key Delete A CM something
                 ^ ^^- Alt
                 +---- Any context