Problems with booting & MBR

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Aug 1 15:41:22 GMT 2005

vdm.fbsd at virgilio.it writes:

>>From dmesg:
> ad0: 9541MB <WDC WD100BA/16.13M16> [19386/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

I think you just said that

> vicbsd root# fdisk /dev/ad0
> vicbsd root# bsdlabel /dev/ad0s1

work OK, but that your problem (from a prior msg) is:

>>># fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 ad0
>>>fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/ad0: No such file or directory

That makes no sense.  If I understood this right, there's something
very wrong and you ought to be filing a PR about it and/or reporting
the problem on the mailing list for 5.4 development, freebsd-stable.

Also: You might rather use "boot0cfg" instead of "fdisk" as the former
allows you to configure stuff that the later doesn't.