missing /dev/sequencer and /dev/midi under 5.4

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Mon Aug 1 11:16:36 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 with a custom kernel on a Dell Inspiron 6000 - the
Dell website only says "SoundBlaster compatible" for the sound card.

Normal sound stuff works fine (though I can't hear the cd player, actually,
now that I think of it...) but midi doesn't work: kmidi complains
that /dev/sequencer is busy, but actually it doesn't exist, and neither
does /dev/midi.

I guess I need to enable midi in the kernel, but what device / options?

device pcm
device snd
device seq
device midi

all give me "unknown device" errors at compile time: here's the relevent
section of my kernel config file:

device          sound   #       generic sound driver: these added...
device          "snd_ad1816"
device          "snd_als4000"
#device         "snd_au88x0"
device          snd_cmi
device          "snd_cs4281"
device          snd_csa
device          "snd_ds1"
device          "snd_emu10k1"
device          "snd_es137x"
device          snd_ess
device          "snd_fm801"
device          snd_gusc
device          snd_ich
device          snd_maestro
device          "snd_maestro3"
device          snd_mss
device          snd_neomagic
device          "snd_sb16"
device          "snd_sb8"
device          snd_sbc
device          snd_solo
device          "snd_t4dwave"
device          "snd_via8233"
device          "snd_via82c686"
device          snd_vibes
#device         "snd_vortex1"
device          snd_uaudio

I'm sure I don't need all this stuff in there, but I haven't got round to
experimenting with what I can take out. Could that be my problem?

Thanks in anticipation for your help...

Cheers,
Ben