Window Management system

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Mon Aug 1 02:38:56 GMT 2005

kaygarme at slingshot.co.nz on 2005-08-01 13:54:12 +1200:

> I am a complete newbie to Unix and am looking into which window
> management system to use.  I want one that is lean on system
> resources, nice to look at but doesn't take all the fun of learning
> a new system away from the user (if that makes sense).  I like the
> look of Fluxbox and Enlightenment.

If you want something nice to look at, make sure to look at xfce4 -
it's relatively minimal (not as much as Fluxbox but certainly more so
than GNOME or KDE), but it has GTK theme support so the fonts,
buttons, and whatnot look much nicer while using GTK applications such
as xchat or gaim.

I would also suggest that the "fun of learning a new system" in the
case of FreeBSD will come more from a shell prompt than from a
windowing system.