pcaudio device

Steve Friedrich freeBSD at InsightBB.com
Sat Apr 30 08:53:20 PDT 2005

--Original Message Text---
From: Juha Saarinen
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:08:33 +1200

On 4/30/05, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com> wrote: Somewhere, I found out about /dev/pcaudio.  I can cat a .wav file to it and it
comes out of the PC speaker.  I thought I learned this from kernel config
files, i.e., LINT or NOTES.  I even went to onlamp.com and looked at some old
articles by Dru.

Anyway, on 4.11, this works fine.  But on my 5.3 system, /dev/pcaudio isn't
being created on demand.  Is there a device.hint I could use to cause it to
be created?

Anybody know where pcaudio is documented?

Maybe try /dev/speaker?

--

Juha

Thanks for your response, Juha.

Yep, I tried that.  Didn't work.  I have a status_check bourne script that I've been working on that helps me manage my four FreeBSD systems, by reporting revisions of various software, checking
to see that sound still works, etc.

Currently, I have two sound commands; one uses /dev/speaker and the other uses /dev/pcaudio.
Both commands work fine under 4.11, but the second doesn't work under 5.3RC3. (any 5.x really)
Here they are for anyone interested.
echo "<cd<a#~<a#>f" > /dev/speaker   # this plays a sound bite from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
cat /usr/local/share/sounds/k3b_success1.wav > /dev/pcaudio   # this plays the bugle wake up call