DNS, BIND9 ... diving in ...

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Apr 30 05:14:54 PDT 2005

OK, here we go ...

I'm going to attempt setting up BIND9 for the first time, and I don't
have a lot of experience with DNS. My setup is a LAN behind a router
using NAT on an ADSL connection with a dynamic IP on its interface
assigned by my ISP. I'm not interested in setting up an authoritative
server for this reason, and the internal names do not need to be sent
to the WAN. From what I understand, I'll be setting up a caching name
server. I basically understand this much.

However, what I've done to this point is assign non-authoritative names
(hope I'm getting that terminology correct) to my computers here,
though FreeBSD assumes they're authoritative, which most of the time
doesn't present a problem, as I'm not running DNS locally, nor am I
running a MTA to deliver mail to the outside; sendmail only delivers
locally, and I use my ISP's mail servers otherwise. But, the names I've
assigned are obviously not worthwhile in terms of how they are seen to
the WAN or any authoritative DNS server. Is it possible to assign
non-authoritative names to internal boxen without screwing with DNS
conventions? I ask this, as my internal names are always attached to
mail headers, for instance, but to admins they're useless, and I'm
essentially "forging" a header by doing so, as my IP doesn't match the
name I've given. For instance:

	(jtinnin at pacbell.net@64.173.27.15 with plain)
	by smtp811.mail.sc5.yahoo.com with SMTP; 30 Apr 2005 11:26:08 -0000

Well, I don't own smogmonster.com (when I first picked it, nobody did,
but now someone does), but FreeBSD wouldn't let me assign a name that
wouldn't ever resolve, like simply "smogmonster". Is this a problem, or
should I not worry about it? Or am I missing something vital here?

Also, is there any sort of guide on how to set up DNS in my situation?
I've read the handbook, and it seems most of it is covered, but
additional sources are always welcome. Later, I'll be getting static
IPs and will probably have my ISP handle rDNS, but I'll need to assign
authoritative names at that point, though not until then.

- jt