Updating from 5_2_1 to 5_3

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Apr 30 04:13:22 PDT 2005

BSD wrote:

>> # Utilise le mirroir francais
>> *default host=cvsup5.fr.FreeBSD.org
>
> From what I have understand the steps that I must take to upgrade
> properly will be :
>
> 1. Change the cvs-supfile to : *default release=RELENG_5_3_RELEASE

No.  I believe you want just "*default release=RELENG_5_3".
RELENG_5_3_RELEASE will be exactly the code that was released, and will
never change, whereas RELENG_5_3 will be updated with security fixes.

> 2. Run cvsup : /usr/local/bin/cvsup -L1 -h cvsup5.fr.FreeBSD.org
> /root/cvs-supfile

Yes, but you don't *need* to specify "-h cvsup5.fr.FreeBSD.org" because
you already put that is your supfile.  If that server was down
temporarily or something, you could use "-h some_other_mirror" to
override your supfile without having to change it.  It doesn't hurt, but
it achieves nothing.

Also, -L 1, according to the man page, has no affect when you run with
the graphical interface, which you do unless you specify -g.

> 5. # make build kernel

There's no space "make buildkernel"

> 7. # boot -s (optional, please confirm)

"shutdown -r now" to shut down and reboot the machine, then when you get
to the boot loader, hit something like space bar (anything but return)
and then type "boot -s" to get to single user mode.  I'm sure that
handbook covers this.

> 9. # make install world

Again, no space "make installworld"

> 10. # mergmaster
> 11. # shutdown -r now

If you are new to this, I recommend "mergemaster -v".  See "man mergemaster"

> Do I have to upgrade or clean my /usr/ports - knowing that it is
> updated twice a week on the 5_2_1_RELEASE ?
> If so, how ?
>
> Any pointer beside the Handbook ?

You don't have to upgrade ports.  Again, the handbook covers port
upgrading.  I like portupgrade, though there is another recent tool
called "port{some thing else I've forgotten} which others prefer.

The handbook is all you need.  Follow it accurately and it should be
plain sailing.  The handbook is quite simply one of the best reasons for
running FreeBSD (apart from it's classy heritage).

I have the rebuilding sections of the handbook printed out so that they
are easy to access while rebuilding.  You can't look at a web browser
when you machine is in single user mode!

--Alex