3ware rebuild problems fixed

Matt Staroscik matt at wrongcrowd.com
Fri Apr 29 10:45:10 PDT 2005

I solved my own problem a while back and neglected to post my solution.
I hate it when people do that to me. :)

My original post is here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-November/064038.html

The summary is simply this: when rebuilding a mirror on a 3ware 7000-2,
the rebuild would crap out with a vague disk error message. Doing a dump
on the volume uncovered a couple of read errors.

Solution:

The read errors were killing the rebuild process. The hard disk's
built-in SMART error correction was not kicking in though, because it
only corrects bad sectors on a write. I tried to fix the disk with fsck,
but the damage was too low-level, I guess...

Anyway, I deleted the files with read errors--luckily they were
trivial--and then copied a load of files to the partition to fill up the
empty space. This triggered a SMART sector repair--I verified that with
a SMART checker from ports.

Once the bad sectors were remapped, I was able to rebuild my array.

Hope this helps someone!

--
***** I am Matt Staroscik and I approved this message. ******
matt at wrongcrowd.com * http://wrongcrowd.com * 4 8 15 16 23 42