How to delete a not empty directory on FTP Server via ftp on freebsd 5.3

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Fri Apr 29 09:00:15 PDT 2005

> I signed up a account to have a ftp space to upload my
> web files. And it needs manangered by myself via ftp.
> But I have to said that I am a newbie on freebsd.
>
> when I type ftp at my shell, and successed long in ftp
> server. But I don't know how to delete directory via
> the command of ftp. I had searched some information
> about that, and 'man ftp'. But I only know that there
> are 'delete(file)' and 'rmdir(empty diretory) command,
> I tied to typed 'rm -r Diretory-Name' and 'mv -f
> Diretory-Name'(as on my csh), but I faied.
>
> Can you tell me where I can find more information
> about the command of ftp(I enjoy command better, not
> GUI ftp client if possible)

Once connected via ftp, type "help".  That will give you a list of
commands available.  You can then type things like "help rmdir", etc.

Also, if you like the command line, but want a little more functionality
from your ftp client, check out ncftp...

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/ftp/ncftp3/pkg-descr

-philip