FreeBSD mailing list reverse DNS problem

greg at grokking.org greg at grokking.org
Fri Apr 29 07:07:56 PDT 2005

Ihsan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am registered to this mailing list under a different
> e-mail which I can't seem to use to send mails to this
> list. FreeBSD MXs kept rejecting my server with 450
> Client host rejected. cannot find hostname,
>
> I've checked and rechecked with internal and external
> name servers which allow foreign queries that my IP is
> resolvable to anggerik.meltechsystems.net (dig -x
> 202.71.100.92) but somehow FreeBSD servers couldn't
> get the reverse information.
>
> How can I troubleshoot this problem? I'm running out
> of  practical ideas already.

Did you recently (i.e. last couple of days) change your DNS for that
host-IP combo? It might take some nameservers (esp. ones with long cache
lifetimes) a bit of time to acquire the new information. I had this
problem when I first tried to subscribe to this list. A couple hours
later I tried again and it worked.

cheers,