Quota support in GENERIC kernel

Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim ihsan at meltechsystems.net
Fri Apr 29 05:04:37 PDT 2005

i all,

Is there any technical reason why quota support is not included in GENERIC
kernel or at least be made a loadable module? I know it's not hard to recompile
the kernel but why the hassle of doing that when a module or built-in feature
can be included?

I would like to utilize freebsd-update binary patching mechanism for all the
boxes I maintain but it only supports GENERIC kernel. I don't have a dedicated
build machine and most boxes are located offsite so having a binary update can
really help cut down on the tangible and intangible costs.

It is my opinion after using FreeBSD for quite some time that quota is an
essential feature that should be part of the GENERIC kernel.

I hope I can get a good explanation for this.