What is ata2 ?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Thu Apr 28 20:44:44 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:31:01PM -0700, Rob wrote:
> --- Clifton Royston wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:48:00AM -0700, Rob wrote:
> >
> > > Eventually I would like to achieve this:
> > > I have another, very old, PC with following
> > > configuration:
> > >   IDE/0 (on motherboard) master and slave HDs
> > >   IDE/1 (on motherboard) -broken-
> > >
> > > I like to use this soundcard/IDE controller for
> > > adding a CDrom to this very old PC. The OS of
> > > this PC is 4-Stable.
> >
> > I don't think it'll work for that - too bastardized.
> > I don't know what they did but they might have
> > changed the pinout or something so that it
> > was only compatible with Creative CD-ROMs. In the
> > best case, if you got it to work, it would be
> > deathly slow.
>
> Too bad, as the soundcard itself seems to be
> recognized properly by 5-Stable:

  You could always try... but as I recall you did, and it didn't work.
Maybe worth googling for, but if you've got a working PCI slot, a cheap
IDE card should be many times faster.  The Creative ISA card was
designed in an era when a "fast" CD-ROM was 2x, not 52x.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair