FreeBSD NIS client and Solaris NIS server problem...

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Thu Apr 28 08:59:38 PDT 2005

Hello,

> I'm having a bit of trouble getting my FreeBSD workstation ( 5.4
> PRERELEASE ) binding to our Solaris 8 NIS server. I do not get any
> warnings or errors when ypbind starts up, but if I do a 'rpcinfo
> localhost', it takes a very long time to come back with anything(stays
> in a 'nanslp' state the whole time), and trying to do a 'ypcat hosts'
> ( or an equivalent ypcat query ) times out with the error:
>
>    $ ypcat hosts
>    ypcat: no such map hosts.byaddr. reason: Can't bind to server which
> serves this domain
>
> if I run rpcbind manually with the -d flag I get the following message:
>
>   $ rpcbind -d
>   rpcbind debugging enabled.
>   can't get local ip6 address: hostname nor servname provided, or not
> known
>
> Now, I dont have ipv6 compiled in the kernel, but is rpcbind dependent on
> it?
>
> Here are the parameters I'm using in rc.conf for nis:
>
>    rpcbind_enable="YES"
>    nisdomainname="delta"
>    nis_client_enable="YES"
>    nis_client_flags="-S delta,engr-nis1,engr-nis2"
>
> Any info is appreciated, I would like to access my NFS home directory
> from my workstation :)

Because rpcbind is a dependancy of ypbind, no (real) need to explicitly
enable it... but it doesn't hurt.

I personnaly use a very similar setup at work (Solaris NIS server and
FreeBSD NIS client), and binding point to point the two works great:
 # grep nis /etc/rc.conf
 nisdomainname="domain"
 nis_client_enable="YES"
 nis_client_flags="-ypset -s -m -S domain,foor,bar"
 # /etc/rc.d/ypbind start

If ypwhich(1) don't tell you more on the hostname of NIS server, the
problem may come from the configuration of the server, not the client.

--
-jpeg.