netcat strange behaviour

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Apr 28 07:58:56 PDT 2005

shibbsd at spymac.com wrote:

>My netcat is the one from the official FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE s the system here now to check the exact version; I'll check it and post it
>to the maillist a.s.a.p. (or look in web-cvs).
>
>As of telnet, it runs o.k., but I wanted to use netcat in a shell script... :(
>Besides, that is what netcat is designed for, is it not?
>
>PS. sorry, as of 5.4-RELEASE I meant 5.4-RC2

Try
    pkg_info -I netcat\*

Regardless of whether it is up-to-date or not you should try remaking
it.  If it's not up-to-date then you should update it first.  The
handbook will tell you how.  Try nc reading from stdin
    nc -i 1 localhost 110
and type the commands just like to telnet.  Does that work?

If it still doesn't work then there may be a bug in the port on 5.4 and
you might try reporting it.

Also, there seems to be a gnetcat port which is a rewrite of netcat.
Try that.

--Alex