What is ata2 ?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 07:48:02 PDT 2005

Joel wrote:
>>For now, another, possibly silly, question:
>>If this is indeed a multifunctional multimedia card,
>>then does that mean I can connect another harddisk
>>to this card, and it will be recognized as a
>>harddisk on ata2 ?
>
> Very likely.
>
> However, if freeBSD does what some other OSses do
> when it sees the added disk, you may find you need
> to edit /etc/fstab .

OK, I have opened the box and had a look at this
ISA card. It's indeed a sound card, "Creative
SB16/SB32". But it also has one IDE Interface
connector, which apparently is the ata2 device.

So, I thought, let's see how I get this ata2 to work.
I disconnected the CDrom cable from the motherboard's
IDE, and connected it to this soundcard.
Nothing there at bootup; no mentioning of any
CDrom in the kernel messages.
(To be sure, I reconnected the cable the other way
round to the card; same result).

Does this ISA/IDE require some other additional
tweaks to become operational? The OS is 5-Stable.

---

Eventually I would like to achieve this:
I have another, very old, PC with following
configuration:
  IDE/0 (on motherboard) master and slave harddisks
  IDE/1 (on motherboard) -broken-

I like to use this soundcard/IDE controller for
adding a CDrom to this very old PC. The OS of this
PC is 4-Stable.

Thanks for your help!

Rob.