ipfilter / ftp

Sherman, Michael (GE Energy) michael.sherman at og.ge.com
Thu Apr 28 07:11:58 PDT 2005

Hi all.

I am trying to set up an ftp box, have a some problems. I am using vsftp as
the ftp server, with IPfilter as a firewall. During large transfers, the ftp
client would suddenly stop with a message "Operation failed, no route to
host". Any ideas?

I am using FreeBSD 5.3 Release, vsftp ftp server and the IPfilter rules for
ftp are as follows:
for out:
pass out quick on xl0 proto tcp from any to any port = 21 flags S keep state
pass out quick on xl0 proto tcp from any port = 20 to any  port > 1023 flags
S keep state
for in:
pass in quick on xl0 proto tcp from any port > 1023 to any port = 21 flags S
keep state

Michael