DNS config for dhcp

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Apr 28 05:13:05 PDT 2005

benchmark <zslist at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a DHCP setup, and as part of the network interface config, i've
> got my hostname and domain setup as rainier.sbcglobal.com. Note that I
> have my own DHCP sever (my wireless access point, which in turn is
> getting a dhcp address from SBC).
>
> #hostname
> rainier.sbcglobal.com
>
> but host or bind won't run correctly, as the name of my network/dhcp
> setup is really not in the DNS of my ISP. I believe that's cause cvsup
> misbehave (as well as browser's behaving very slowly or timedout).
> cvsup only worked once, it always came back with a network read error
> after connecting to the freebsd host, and wasn't able to get any
> files....
>
> So how do i go about fixing this problem?

Good question.  You're almost certainly on the wrong track.  Running
your own nameserver should take care of DNS problems, and having your
own name in your own local DNS should keep local programs from
failing.  It would still be better to use a real domain name in
network communications, but that won't affect things like cvsup.

Try raising the verbosity of cvsup and see what *it* tells you.