GRUB problems

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at ph.tum.de
Wed Apr 27 12:41:05 PDT 2005

Hello,

I just installed PC-BSD which is based on FreeBSD5.3, but comes with a
graphical installer.

I already have Windows XP and Debian Linux installed on my computer, so I
could not install PC-BSD in a primary partition at the beginning of the disk.
Instead I created a new primary partition at the end of the disk. I now have
the following disk layout:

    hda1          Boot         Primary    NTFS
8389,79
    hda5                       Logical    Linux ReiserFS
8003,20
    hda6                       Logical    Linux swap / Solaris
1998,75
    hda7                       Logical    Linux ReiserFS
8003,20
    hda8                       Logical    W95 FAT32
20003,89
    hda9                       Logical    Linux ReiserFS
70013,59
                               Pri/Log    Free Space
37630,66
    hda3                       Primary    FreeBSD
5995,75  *
                               Primary    Free Space
0,49  *

I have the following two entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst:

# Entry for PC-BSD
                title PC-BSD
                makeactive (hd0,2)
                root (hd0,2,a)
                kernel /boot/loader

title           PC-BSD
                root (hd0,2,a)
                kernel /boot/loader

With both entries I cannot boot. I get the following error messages:

Entry 1:
makeactive (hd0,2)
Error 12: Invalid device request

Entry 2:
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xa5
kernel /boot/loader
Error 17: cannot mount selected partition

Is there anything I can do to get this working?

Greetings,
Michael