firefox doesn't show up

jason henson jason at ec.rr.com
Tue Apr 26 22:42:26 PDT 2005

Trey Sizemore wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:40:43 -0800
>Ben Munat <bent at munat.com> wrote:
>

>>Did you try running it from the command line? That way you can see if
>>it prints errors when it fails.

>My Firefox will no longer work as a normal user (no page loads and
>buttons are unresponsive), although it does as root.  Starting from the
>command line produces the following output (both as root and my normal
>user account):
>
>trey at salamander~> firefox
>LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/compat/linux/usr/
>local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so [Shared object
>"libc.so.6" not found, required by "nppdf.so"] *** Failed to load
>overlay chrome://useragentswitcher/content/menu.xul
>
>Any ideas on how to fix this?

Looks like your adobe plugin is a linux port.  You need
emulators/linux_base-8.  But you shouldn't unless you have a linux
binary.  I didn't see a adobe plugin in the ports system so I am
guessing this is where you went wrong.  Did you tell firefox to install
a linux or unix plugin for pdfs or acrobat reader?  Remove the adobe
plugin and see if firefox works right.  Also did you install the native
firefox from ports?