make x LC_ALL=C: command not found.

Aaron Sloan security at adtu.org
Tue Apr 26 15:31:23 PDT 2005

Hello,

step 1.   I cvsup, rebuilt and installed world and generic kernel.
Mergemastered just like I always do.
I followed the handbook to the letter and this certainly isn't my first
time.
5.4 stable.

I customized my kernel and went to build it.

make buildkernel KERNCONF=XX

I get the following error.

LC_ALL=C: command not found.
"Makefile", line 155 warning: "LC_ALL=C date" returned non-zero status
MAKEFLAGS=: Command not found.
"Makefile.inc1" line 116: warning "MAKEFLAGS= CPUTYPE=dummy make -f
/dev/null -m
/usr/src/share/mk -V CPUTPE" returned non-zero status
"Makefile.inc1", line 118: CPUTYPE globaal should be set with ?=.
   error code 1.

I did monkey with make.conf before step 1.
I added...

CPUTYPE?=i686
CFLAGS= -O -pipe

Make now fails to the above error on every thing.
I'm not certain what I did to break it but I'm sure it has my name all
over it.

Thanks,
Aaron