Answering my own question Re: Compile of GCC-3.4 port fails on FreeBSD 4.11 --- Help?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 26 10:50:37 PDT 2005

Answering my own question, just to get the answer into the archives.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:20:38AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:

> I've been having trouble with ports on FreeBSD 4.11 lately, as more and more
> of them seem to want gcc 3.4 --- but I can't get gcc-3.4 to build.

Turns out that the mingw port (gcc 2.95 cross-compiler for building windows
binaries) is the culprit here.  It installs a /usr/local/include/ansidecl.h
file that is picked up by the configure of gcc-3.4, and that causes the
problem.  To figure that out I had to look for ATTRIBUTE_NONNULL on my spare
linux box, found it in ansidecl.h, then hunted down why I had an ansidecl.h
without ATTRIBUTE_NONNULL in it with "pkg_info -W".

Since I need the mingw port, I just temporarily moved ansidecl.h so gcc3.4
could build.

Never Mind.

> Here's what I get when I attempt to make gcc 3.4:
>
> [...]
> In file included from insn-conditions.c:30:
> ../../gcc-3.4-20050128/gcc/output.h:122: syntax error before `ATTRIBUTE_NONNULL'
> In file included from insn-conditions.c:34:
> ../../gcc-3.4-20050128/gcc/toplev.h:57: syntax error before `ATTRIBUTE_NONNULL'

[...]

> Has anyone else had a problem building gcc-3.4 on FreeBSD 4.11? I see nothing
> in the -questions or -ports archives about it, and google gave me nothing.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster