Which is the best PDF utility ?

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Tue Apr 26 10:29:46 PDT 2005

Frank Staals wrote:
> edward wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Just wanted to know which is, according to you, the best utility to
>> read PDF files. I notice the Acrobat7 port is mentioned as "broken" in
>> the notes. Which program (not necessarily Adobe) would be the best
>> alternative for everyday PDF reading ? Oh, almost forgot, I use KDE.
>> Thanks for your insight on this.
>> Edward

> What the 'best' is I wouldn't know, I ussually use xpfd works simple and
> effective, has no useless functions etc but works fine. So for what I do
> with it I would say xpdf is good, at least good enough for me. If you
> want to see it just use the command 'xpdf' its default supplied with
> Xorg If I'm correct

Xorg is not a package that includes other packages, such as some
operating systems.  By that I mean, if you get Xorg as such by that
name, it's not going to include other tools (such as the excellent
xpdf).  The only way you'g get xpdf with Xorg is if you got Xorg in a
package of something like KDE, where packaging in other tools IS very
likely.