illegal user root user failed login attempts

Karol Kwiatkowski freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org
Tue Apr 26 04:54:24 PDT 2005

Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:22:34AM +0100, Peter Kropholler wrote:
>>Is there any way to actually record what passwords
>>the hackers' scripts are trying? I am just really intrigued
>>to know what they are thinking might work.
>

> No - ssh transport is encrypted even by the time passwords are involved.

But in this scenario it is me (sshd) who does encryption/decryption :)

As I understand it, there's no way to log password except hacking ssh
daemon source code.

This link might help:
http://seclists.org/lists/incidents/2005/Feb/0004.html

(I haven't tried it and patch is against OpenSSH 3.5p1 - be careful)

Regards,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>