Connecting to the Internet

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Apr 25 17:11:24 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:07:35PM -0400, Broming plutonium wrote:

> I've only had 2 days of experience with FreeBSD, so I don't know
> anything about it. How do I connect it to the Internet using Ethernet?
> My computer seemed to be telling me it had three network interfaces.
> I'm guessing that the ones called plip0 and ppp0 are all wrong; sl0 is
> the right one.
>
> FreeBSD tries to establish an Internet connection on plip0 every time
> it boots. How do I change that to sl0?  How do I tell it to "tell DHCP
> server to assign IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on subnet mask
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx USING the sl0 network interface?

You say nothing about what version of FreeBSD, nor what you did during
installation. plip0, ppp0, nor sl0 are ethernet interfaces, they are
rarely used in this day and age of dirt cheap ethernet.

You don't say whether or not X is running or whether you are still in a
text terminal. Either way, open a command shell and type "ifconfig" to
see what interfaces your kernel sees.

Another thing to play with is sysinstall, the same utility which runs
when one boots off the CD can be used while the system is running. You
might wish to use it to play with and disable plip0, and look for an
ethernet interface.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net