OpenLDAP 2.2.25 and FreeBSD 5.3 - group names and gid's

Don Brearley donbrearley at hcc.mnscu.edu
Mon Apr 25 08:42:17 PDT 2005

Hello,

I am having some problems with OpenLDAP 2.2.25 and FreeBSD 5.3.

I can currently authenticate against my ldap db, and utilities like id and chown
work with no problem.

The problem is gid to group name mapping.  In my ldif files, I can have a
"uid" entry and a "uidNumber" entry.  It would look something like this:

uid:  testuser
uidNumber: 2001

and that works.   I cannot have a group entry of the same.

gid: testgroup
gidNumber: 2001

OpenLDAP would complain that it couldnt read this file properly.. not until
the "gid:testgroup" entry was removed.

When I attempt to use an app like "chown" I have to specify the actual
gid number, eg:

chown -R testuser:2001 /home/testuser

I was wondering if anyone had found a way to have it so that you could
just enter it by name, and not by number.  eg:

chown -R testuser:testgroup /home/testuser

Obviously I would have to add a gid entry in my schema file, but I am left
wondering why this isnt already in there..  I dont want to spend a few hours
trying to re-invent the wheel when there is already a reason for it to
not be in there.

Any help or light on this situation is deeply appreciated.  If you need more
information, please let me know and I shall provide it.

Thanks

- Don Brearley