scaning the local network with arping/sh script

Murat Balaban murat at enderunix.org
Mon Apr 25 00:40:40 PDT 2005

Hi,

Did you check http://www.enderunix.org/knowlan/ ?

What is Knowlan?

Knowlan is ARP protocol based Local Area Network IP and MAC Adress Extractor. Knowlan uses libpcap and libnet libraries for to be simple to handle and to have a simple code for any interestor to deal with the code. To describe knowlan overally, Knowlan, sends ARP REQUEST packets to the LAN, and at the same time, It recieves ARP REPLY packets from the up machines. So, It prints out IP and MAC addresses of online machines

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:41:30AM +0300, Abu Khaled wrote:
> On 4/24/05, Alex Soares de Moura <alex at rnp.br> wrote:
> > Abu Khaled wrote:
> >
> > >Greetings...
> > >
> > >I don't know much about scripting but i tried to write one to scan my
> > >local network using the net/arping port.
> > >here is the script:
> > ><sciprt start>
> > >#!/bin/sh
> > >IP=1
> > >while [ $IP -le 20 ]
> > >do
> > >echo -e ".\c"
> > >   if ( arping -c 1 -q -i rl1 10.0.0.$IP ) then
> > >      echo -e "\n10.0.0.$IP Online"
> > >   fi
> > >IP=$(( $IP +1 ))
> > >done
> > >echo -e "\n"
> > ><script end>
> > >
> > >The script runs and reports OK but it is very slow and takes a lot of
> > >time to scan a large network. Does anyone have an idea on how to
> > >improve it or provide an alternate way to do it?
> > >
> > >PS: I used the arpscan port in the past but it is reported as broken:
> > >Unfetchable.
> > >      I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 Stable.
> > >

> > Have you tried the ettercap tool? It's in the ports:
> > /usr/ports/net-mgmt/ettercap
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Alex
> >

> Thanks Alex. Ettercap is a nice tool but I don't run X on my Gateway/Servers.
> I was looking for a port/package that runs from console. Seems that I
> forgot to mention that in my post.
>
> Thank again and sorry for the incomplete information.
>
> --
> Kind regards
> Abu Khaled

 Duydunuz mu! Turkiye'nin ilk FreeBSD kitabi cikti.
 http://www.acikkod.com/freebsd.php