OT: HTTP response handling - date correction in the client?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Sun Apr 24 13:47:47 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:43:48PM -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> This is OT, I know, but there's gotta be someone on this list that
> knows the various HTTP specs better than I do.  I do know them better
> than your average bear, at least, but apparently not as well as I
> thought.
>
> I seem to remember reading in a spec, some time ago, details of date
> correction performed on responses received from a server with a skewed
> system clock or to account for extended network latency.
>
> Well, now I can't find the details of this date correction.  RFC 1945
> and 2616 don't mention much detail, but I know it was discussed
> somewhere.  I just can't remember where.  Unfortunately, my
> predecessor didn't mention the spec he used in the commentary.  In
> fact, he didn't put any commentary on the subject at all.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.  I have googled, and searched W3C,
> but the results weren't very helpful.

  You might try the squid website and/or mailing list archives, as date
issues greatly affect cacheability.  They have (or used to) a
cacheability tester on their website which checks dates.  As a last
resort, try subscribing and posting your query to that mailing list.

  I used to be active on it years back but have been doing other stuff
more recently.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair