Mounting USB-stick

Fridtjof Busse fbusse at gmx.de
Sat Apr 23 23:19:10 PDT 2005

* Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays at rogers.com>:
> > Now I have /dev/da0, but no /dev/da0s1.
> > No matter what I try with camcontrol, I don't get da0s1.
> > By accident I found out that after I mount /dev/da0 (which of course
> > doesn't give me any files on the stick) and umount it, I get /dev/
> > da0s1. What's going on/wrong and how can I fix it? I don't need
> > amd, so I'd be happy about a simple solution, if there's any.
> > Thanks! :)
>
> Run fdisk on the drive, and see where the partitions are.  I have
> found cases where the fourth partition holds the data, and you can
> mount it with 'mount -t msdos /dev/da0s4 /mnt'.  Running fdisk with
> no parameters won't do any damage - but see below.
>
> In other cases of trouble, try 'camcontrol devlist' to get a list of
> which device numbers have been assigned.  It isn't always da0.

As I've already written: da0s1 is correct, but it only appears if I run
'mount_msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt && umount /mnt' before.
Otherwise there's only /dev/da0, nothing else. Then I can mount
/dev/da0s1.
I'd just like to know how I can mount da0s1 without having to mount the
device itself first. The partition is there and works fine under Linux
and FreeBSD, but FreeBSD doesn't "see" it at first. camcontrol lists the
device as soon as I plug it in ('scbus 1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)'),
but da0s1 won't appear before I use the above "workaround".

--
Fridtjof Busse
   It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.