Xorg autoconfig much better or kde doing it? [ Was: Re: mplayer/mplayer-plugin question ]

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sat Apr 23 16:49:55 PDT 2005

Yeah, yeah, answering to my own post, but different subject that I've been
wondering about:

A couple weeks ago I moved my main box over from one disk to another and
installed packages I had prepared before and copied over, etc, and I started
KDE and only a few days later I noticed (when trying to use GL) that I was
running with X's nv driver, not with nvidia driver. I completely forgot to
setup a xorg config but it ran well nonetheless. I used to have to use
specific hor/vert modes for my LCD monitor. Well, now something managed to
autoconfigure it all. I haven't researched this but it seems that either xorg
has improved greatly or KDE goes through great lenghts to make stuff just
work.

So, is this xorg or KDE that does the extra mile?

Dan