subbfont.ttf, missing.

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Apr 23 13:18:22 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 04:44:33PM -0300, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:12:03 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
>
> > 	I can't figure out how to get mozilla or firefox to
> > 	play "the writer's almanac"  (( any help??)).  It plays out
> > 	of the box on my RH 8.0  box.  At any rate, I'm trying to get
> > 	gmplayer set up with its realaudio codecs, and when I bring up
> > 	gmplayer, it complains that it is missing
> > 	~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf.
> >
> > 	Anybody know where it is hiding?  I've installed mplayer-fonts
> > 	and didn't find the "*ttf" file in the port//work directory.
> > 	Of course neither is subfont.ttf in
> > 	/usr/local/share/mplayer/font*.
> >
> > 	So: a) can I config gmplayer to play realplay files, pref by
> > 	script?  or b) do I need the ttf file for [g]mplayer?
> >
> > 	thanks for any clues here, gents,
> >
> > 	gary
> >
> > 	PS: (Video: is a dontcare).
> >

> Hello,
>
> You can try copying the ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf from RH 8.0.
>
> If it is a symlink (probably) just link ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf to your
> favourite font (the font directories are usually under
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/").
>
> Hope that helps.

	You've helped me google around for some clue(s)!  It looks
	like any single ttf file will do, within reason.  So the
	answer to my question is copy some ((smallish? 14pt?))
	ttf to ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf   Ariel is the default.

	Another -question is:: is there a way to set the volume
	in mplayer/gmplayer before it's plugin blasts a loud and
	distorted stream at me?  Or am I suppoesed to use the
	mixer for this?

	tx in advance,

	gary

	PS:  [g]mplayer is a nice suite; it's just difficult to
	     set up/use/tune/<etc>.

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix