mplayer/mplayer-plugin question

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 22 15:07:00 PDT 2005

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:42:31 -0500, Danny Pansters <danny at ricin.com> wrote:

>>> I'm  sure
>>>
>>>     At least a symlink to /usr/local/etc, and the post-install note.
>>>     This brings up the qauestion of the Powers-that-Be creating
>>>     symlinks to /etc/local (as a min) and /etc/X11R6.  (Should *ANY*
>>>     non-system GUI have its conf in /etc/X11R6/etc?  ... [*mumble*])
>>>
>>>     gary
>>>

>> No, and in fact it would be better if /usr/X11R6 were a hard link
>> to /usr/local, but this never happened. The /usr/X11R6 came into life
>> because
>> of X IIRC and then got adapted by some X apps and then by gnome. So
>> now  we're
>> stuck with two "3rd party software" trees/prefixes.
>

> I am hoping to get all GNOME stuff move in LOCALBASE someday when I
> have  time. FreeBSD needs to remove one prefix either (LOCALBASE or
> X11BASE) to  have a prefix.

MPlayer doesn't need X. It can run just fine in an X-less environment.
Same with SDL. Things that _require_ X live in /usr/X11R6. Except for
KDE, which claims that they alone are interpreting hier(7) correctly and
*every single other X app in the entire ports tree* is wrong. Also OOo,
but those poor guys have enough to deal with without trying to force a
nonstandard prefix.

Personally, I'd love to see /usr/X11R6 folded into /usr/local, but until
then, I think it's nothing short of retarded for apps to install into
unusual locations to prove a point.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger