USB2.0 External IDE connections

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Fri Apr 22 11:08:17 PDT 2005

scott renna wrote:

>Has anyone had any luck in using external USB2.0
>enclosures on FreeBSD 5.3?  I've picked up 2 of them
>with different chipsets and have 2 USB2.0 to IDE
>converter cables.  My kernel has support for ehci so
>that's not an issue, but every time i plug one of
>these devices it, it's detected as da0 and a umass
>device, and I'm told data transfer is limited to
>1Mb/s.  attempting to mount da0 doesn't work.
>
>has anyone had any experience in using these types of
>devices?
>
>thanks
>
>scott

They basically work (at least with 5.4) but there are some open bugs for
failure under high load - I too switched to firewire in the end.  The
1Mb/s think seems to be more a displya issue than a perfomance one
becasue gstat shows about 12mb/sec for the drives I have. If the hangup
under load problems get fixed I think USB will be quite usable.

John