USB2.0 External IDE connections

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Apr 22 08:43:58 PDT 2005

Randi Harper wrote:

>On Friday 22 April 2005 10:55 am, Brian McCann wrote:
>

>>I tried, but I ended up returning the enclosures.  I had a problem
>>where anytime I would output lots of data to the drive (say 2 PCs
>>copying a 4gb file to it), the drive would "dissapear" and hang the
>>system.  Happened on both Windows and FreeBSD though.  IIRC, it was
>>the newer Prolific chipset.
>>

>Don't top post!

What she said! :-D

>I had the same problem, btw. I have a USB HD enclosure, I forget what chipset.
>Any time I transfered large amounts of data, it would lock my entire system.
>Fun stuff. I switched to firewire. The performance is heaps better, and I
>haven't had any problems with it (yet).
>
>Randi Harper

I've not had any problems save these:

As OP mentioned, my system only seems to run at 1.0 speeds, and
this is a bit of a bummer on large transfers (which is what I intended
for its primary use --- backups).

Kernel options MSDOSFS_LARGE is experimental and advised to
only be r/o.  I tend to use 180/200 GB FAT32 drives in these enclosures,
and that doesn't work unless you have kernel compiled this way, so
I'm stuck needing to use MSDOSFS's that are < 128 GB.  If you've had
trouble, you might look at your kernel config...?

Lastly, I've got the thing opened in front of me, and D*#$&# if I
know what chipset it is.... :-D

Kevin Kinsey