Prevent DHCP from changing resolv.conf

Fabian Anklam greatnorthern at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 02:30:39 PDT 2005

Hi All,

I have a minor problem regarding my network configuration,
specifically that the external interface on my router gets it's IP via
DHCP from the ISP, so in rc.conf

ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"

is set. This leads to the single entry in resolv.conf that I want to
be there, namely

nameserver 127.0.0.1

being replaced with my ISP's nameservers, which in return makes
resolving of LAN IPs or even localhost via the installed BIND
difficult for the machine. I don't want dhclient to change the
resolv.conf.

I checked the man pages for resolv.conf, rc.conf and dhclient but
couldn't find anything there relating to my problem.

Thanks, Fabian