Unassociated shell command when building kernel

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Apr 21 20:56:19 PDT 2005

madsen at vijit.com wrote:

>I've been cvsup'ing the kernel regularly (standard-supfile) for
>quite a while.  About maybe a month or so ago, when trying to do a
>kernel build, I get what appear to be make errors with the error
>message "Unassociated shell command".
>
>(A copy of the pertinent lines from the build log are below).
>
>The final "advice" from the script seems to be
>"Run "make -f rescue.mk" to build crunched binary.", but I
>cannot find "rescue.mk" anywhere.  Perhaps that's my problem, but
>I do not know, and I don't know enough about the kernel build system
>to know how to debug this situation.
>
>1)  If the problem is a missing rescue.mk, how/where can I get a
>shiny new one?  And secondly, what happened to the old one?  Could
>an update have munged it?

If there is an old one, it's in the object tree.  But maybe there isn't,
keep reading for my guess.

>2)  If that isn't the problem, how can I find out what is?

I'm thinking a perusal of /usr/src/UPDATING ... but IANAE.

>3)  Is there an FM that I can "RT" on how the kernel build system is
>put together?  Something that's more detailed than "newbie" but less
>detailed than "kernel developer"?  Right now, it's a black box and I'd
>like to "grey it up" a little.
>
>4)  In a perhaps associated issue, after cvsup'ing ports, "make fetchindex"
>and portupgrade also get the same error message.
>
>Dave Madsen ---dcm
>adsenmay atay ijitvay otday omcay

My guess: it's likely your "make" is out of date.  See /usr/ports/UPDATING,
entry 20040728.  If your "world" is older than that date, it's almost
certainly the issue.  OTOH, if you're building kernels often (say,
monthly?) and your world is last July or earlier, I'd have thought
the problem to be older than one month.

Are you also regularly building world?  They really need to
be kept m/l in sync.

Now, I could be wrong, and often am; but it's worth thinking
about, and seems quite possible.

Kevin Kinsey