special characters and how they are represented

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Thu Apr 21 16:14:24 PDT 2005

hi folks.  this may seem uber-simple to some of you, but i'm ignorant
regarding this.  your help is appreciated.

so, i have this album from Mötley Crüe (that looks right in vim, my
editor for mutt), and i have ripped it to FLAC and put it on my file
server.  on the server, however, the directory name doesn't look like
that.  well, it does if i pipe ls through more (ls | more).  here are
the scenarios:

1) ls --> this shows "M?tley_Cr?e" as directory name
2) ls | more --> this looks right, with umlaut over o and u
3) ls M<TAB> --> this shows "M\366tley_Cr\374e" (backslash366 &
   backslash374, respectively), using csh as my shell w/set complete and
   set autolist

my question is... why the differences?  is there a way to force
consistent behavior across all three scenarios?

thanks in advance.

--
Mike Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]