devfs.conf, permissions and dynamic devices

Duane Winner dwinner-lists at att.net
Thu Apr 21 08:20:44 PDT 2005

Hello all,

Does anybody know of a solution for this problem:

I have just acquired a new Zire 31 Palm Pilot to replace my old Palm
VII, which was a serial interface.

I figured out how to sync the Zire to jpilot over USB after compiling
the kernel (5.3 p9) with 'device ucom' and 'device uvisor'.

The problem is that because /dev/ucom0 is created and only exists when I
hit the HotSync button on the Palm, putting the following lines into
/etc/devfs.conf doesn't help at all:

perm ucom0 0666
link ucom0 pilot
link ucom0 jpilot

Before I hit the Sync button in the Jpilot application, I first have to
type at the console:

# sudo /etc/rc.d/devfs restart

It's not the end of  the world, but it would be nice to simplify things
a little if possible. Does anybody know of an alternate solution?

Thanks,
DW