FreeBSD vs Linux

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 20 21:15:14 PDT 2005

koen de wijs writes:

> I'm new to unix. This year I tried FreeBSD. Some friend of mine adviced
> FreeBSD. I think it works great. Only one thing that I don't like is
> that you will need to know a lot to setup a lot of basic stuff.

That is the nature of UNIX.

> I want to try out Linux. I heard it is more user friendly and the basic
> stuff will be set up during installation.

Some distributions are.  If you want to use UNIX without knowing how it
works, Linux is a good choice.

> I really don't like the sysinstall menu. It is really unlogically. Why
> isn't there a desktop and a server installation?

Because FreeBSD, like most other versions of UNIX, is intended for
people who are familiar with UNIX.

Additionally, FreeBSD, like most other versions of UNIX, works best as a
server.  If you want a desktop, Linux is probably a better choice.

--
Anthony