Can't build ports on older FreeBSD machine

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Wed Apr 20 18:21:53 PDT 2005

At 05:58 PM 4/20/2005, Kevin Kinsey wrote:

>Not in my experience. More oft than not, it's FreeBSD I "fix" and
>that other OS I "flatten".
>
>But then, maybe we work in different environments, although
>I'm betting my experience is more common than yours

I consult with, and provide service to, quite a few sysadmins
at small companies. Most of them won't bother to fix a FreeBSD
system that's gone awry like that; they'll just reinstall. They
do not have the time to investigate the subtleties of what went
wrong.

But again, I guess I believe (to bring things back on topic)
that a standard, recommended procedure should never leave your
machine, or a major subsystem thereof, unusable. It's not
hard to fix this, though in this particular case it's not just
a matter of setting code but setting a little policy. That's
why, contrary to what one recent taunting message in this thread
suggests, I can't just "go fix it." The fix has to be in the
way things are done more than in the code. Ironically, in the
FreeBSD world, this is the harder kind of change to make.

--Brett