increasing username length via MAXLOGNAME and UT_NAMESIZE

freebsd-questions at andrewsupdates.com freebsd-questions at andrewsupdates.com
Wed Apr 20 12:57:52 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have read the adduser man page which states the following:

"You can change UT_NAMESIZE in <utmp.h> and recompile the world; people
have done this and it works, but you will have problems with any
precompiled programs, or source that assumes the 8-character name limit
and NIS."

I have had a hard time finding examples of anyone who has actually
increased the username length to something like 64+ characters though.  I
am wondering what if anything (besides NIS) might break on a freeBSD box
running virtual domains with
postfix/courier/apache/squirrelmail/webmin/etc.  Has anyone actually done
this and if so have you had any problems?

The reason I'm looking at doing this is to support user at domain.com style
usernames (POP/IMAP/Webmail/usermin) without using a MySQL or LDAP system
for authentication.

Thanks,

Andrew