Advice on backup scheme for FreeBSD 5.3 box

steve steve at digitalbluesky.net
Wed Apr 20 07:53:29 PDT 2005

I have been using FreeBSD 5.3 now for a couple months on a P4 box at home
and I have been backing up the box nightly by doing a simple .tgz of the
/etc, /usr/home and /var directories to a FreeBSD backup server at home (the
backup server is a PI box).

I’m at the point now, because I’m using that FreeBSD box to host email for
myself and some production/development web pages, in case the box fails I
want to be able to quickly either rebuild the contents of that box’s hard
drive or move the backup server over to replace it.  It took a few weeks to
get the P4 box configured the way I want, so I don’t think it’s just a
simple matter of popping in the 5.3 install disk and re-installing.

So I’m trying to figure out a scheme to avoid more than a couple hours of
downtime.

I should note that in a few weeks I’ll be replacing the current PI backup
server with a PIII box.

My home network consists of a linksys router with a couple workstations
attached and the above mentioned web and backup servers.  The web and backup
servers do not have cd burners, however I could transfer files to one of the
workstations to burn backup disks.

I would like to know in general some approaches I could take to create
either some redundancy in my network at home with the two FreeBSD servers I
have (each has different hardware specs) or more effectively back up the
FreeBSD box doing the email/web hosting for myself.  I would consider myself
a moderately competent amateur system admin.  I don’t work in the IT
industry and I have zero knowledge of things like mirroring boxes or using
applications like rsync so I’m looking for a guidance on a “simple”
solution.

Thank you much in advance.

Steve
www.digitalbluesky.net