gnome2 over an ssh2 connection

Joshua Lewis joshua.lewis at prideindesign.com
Mon Apr 18 21:46:16 PDT 2005

I connect to my FreeBSD system from a PowerBook and was wondering (mostly
for fun) if I can run Gnome2 or KDE or something within a Terminal
connection on my PowerBook.

I can manage my FreeBSD system fine from a CLI but thought it would be fun
to run Gnome or KDE.

Is what I am mentioning even feasible? Right now after following the
handbook for installing gnome2 (5.7.1.2 Installing GNOME) I startx and get
an error Fatal server error:
xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O.

If I am just loony let me know otherwise if what I am trying to do is
feasible I will ask the gnome mailing list.